Monday, September 29, 2008

Should we or shouldn't we?

Last week I was talking to my friend who was mad at her science teacher because he had talked about politics in class. She said that he had talked about how the democrats were right and the republicans were "evil" and he had gotten people very upset. My question is should we talk about politics in school, knowing that it may cause tension? Personally I think the answer is yes. Even though my friends teacher did not go about doing it in the right way, I believe it is incredibly important to discus politics in school. I think it is necessary to teach the future voters that go to school about what is happening in the country. Too many Americans are ignorant of the world around them and make poor or uninformed decisions because of it. I think the more information and discussion there is in school, the more informed decisions the presant and future voters of America will make.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I think it is important to talk about politics in classes. However, both teachers and students need to be considerate in how they go about expressing their opinion. Many teachers fear sharing their political views in class isn't appropriate. However, we all have our own minds and hearing the position of a teacher on the election probably won't sway us to think exactly what they do.

Danny M said...

I agree with the argument that elery is making. But I think that their should be some kind of restrictions on teachers trying to convince their students to agree and support their own opinions and beliefs instead of their teacher's. I think that the teachers can provide examples and state their opinions, but only to a cartain extent. Once they are preaching their beliefs, then they have gone too far.

Kimber said...

I agree. I think that teachers and students should be allowed to discuss the political debate and their opinions on each candidate. On the other hand, I also believe that teachers should not attempt to convince or persuade their students to vote for their favorite candidate. If this was an issue that was presented in a class of seniors in high school or a college class, I think that it would be wrong for the teacher to be preaching about their candidate to their students. It is quite easy to present facts in a manner to make one candidate seem better than another. When a teacher or professor supports a candidate, their opinion is so highly valued because of their position of authority that the student may change their vote without hear all the facts. Also, I think that even if teachers are trying to avoid sharing their choice of candidate, it is often difficult to not reveal their bias.